Frequently Asked Questions
What is your address?
- Our physical and mailing address is 139 East Church Street, Yanceyville, NC 27379
What are your hours of operation?
- Office hours (Non-COVID-19): 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Current COVID-19 hours: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Recording Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00.pm
- Obtaining Marriage Licenses: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Are there special requirements for recording deeds in Caswell County?
- Yes. A tax map and parcel number and Grantee mailing address must be on all Deeds.
All Deeds have to have a stamp from the tax office stating no deliquent taxes. If you have any questions regarding this you may contact the tax office at (336)694-4194.
Who can obtain information contained in the Register of Deeds Office?
- Anyone wishing copies of records kept in this office may be obtain such record upon payment of appropriate fees. All information in our office is public record.
How do I obtain information regarding the Office of the Register of Deeds?
- In addition to this web site, you may call our office at (336) 694-4197 during our hours of operation.
How can I transfer names on a Deed?
- A new deed will need to be prepared. You need to contact your Attorney for this service. After you have signed the deed, had your signature notarized, present the document to the Tax Assessorís office, then the deed is presented for recording in this office. Please see the fee schedule for the cost of filing a deed. If there was money transferred, the excise tax amount will also need to be included.
Do I need an appointment to take my Notary oath? What documents must I present to take my oath?
- No appointment is necessary to take your oath. All staff members are able to assist you with taking your oath. It would be helpful to bring the letter you received from the Secretary of State. Oaths are given during office hours.
How do I obtain a copy of my deed and/or plat?
- Either come into the office, giving your name and approximate year of obtaining the property or you may mail in a request. Obtaining a copy in person is $.50 per copy. If the property was surveyed and recorded, you will be able to obtain a copy of the plat also.
Can the Register of Deeds office tell me who owns a particular piece of property by an address?
- No. Our records are by name only. To find out this information, contact the Caswell County Tax Assessorís office at (336) 694-4194.